Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Conclusion

I've finally wrapped up my year in Finland and am back home in Texas now.

I just want to say that I miss living in Finland. I miss Europe. I miss the forthrightness of the people and the simple richness of the culture. It was all really wonderful, and I hope to retain some elements of it in my life now.

I'm not one to be easily attached. I always tell people that I'm used to leaving places behind because I had to move so much when I was growing up (I sometimes think that it's a bit of a personality disorder to be able to handle goodbyes to easily), but I was sad to leave Finland. I think I'm beginning to feel like an adult, and in leaving, I'm parting with friends who are also adults. Here are people with real lives, who have accepted me into their lives as a true friend - not just a student, a mentoree, or a little sister - and I'm so grateful for that.

So to everyone who made this a wonderful year: thank you so much and best wishes for your futures!

Love,
Nan

6 comments:

  1. Hi,
    I just stumbled across your blog and read each and every post - thank you for such an insightful peek into your stay in Finland!

    I'm a university student looking to do exchange in 2011-12, and I'm considering going to University of Helsinki for half a year/a year. Would you have any advice for an exchange student studying/living in Finland?

    Also, this may come across as very crass and I don't mean any offence at all, but I was also wondering if you experienced any discriminatory behaviour during your stay. (Particularly regarding race.) I don't like to believe stereotypes so if you could offer any information in this area from your personal experience, it would be much appreciated.

    Thank you dearly for your time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to add; my email address is trompez.les.voix@hotmail.com but I've also suscribed to comments here.

    Thank you again for any help!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi nan, I am Cindy from Malaysia. I'm in the process of finding a place to further my studies. I understand that you were studying in University of Helsinki.... i hadn't got the time to browse through your blog yet (which I will do it later tomorrow). Just a quickie, how did you find UH?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nan,

    I'm from the US and am a (relatively) recent university grad. I'm investigating schools abroad and was hoping we could speak a bit over email about your experience. It looks like you'd be a good person to bounce some questions off of. I hope I get a chance to.

    Thanks,

    Ben
    benjaminwoll@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello
    Nan
    My name is Jackson i come From Tanzania i am current a student at University of Dar Es Salaam pursuing my Bachelor Degree,i wish to go at UH at the coming year(2012)to pursue my Master's Degree,I wish to apply for the Grand provided by the UH to sponsor my studies.I welcome any advice from you and whoever knows about this!My email is
    datetz18@yahoo.com

    Thank you for advance!

    ReplyDelete