Sunday, September 13, 2009

The Rock Church

I went to the Rock Church (Temppeliaukion kirkko) today to try to catch the English service. The church is actually Lutheran, the main religion in Finland. I don't know what Lutheran means exactly, but I figured that as long as they talked about Jesus in a non-blasphemous way, then I would be happy. It turned out the English service had actually taken place two hours earlier, so instead, I just sat in the sanctuary of the church for about half an hour.

This Church is one of my favorite places in Helsinki. It was difficult to get a good picture, so I am including a picture of a postcard. The door is on ground level, and the architectural idea is to make the church accessible, down-to-earth, and welcoming to all who might want to participate. I like that. The inside is simple but elegant and very peaceful. When no services are happening, the church becomes a tourist attraction, but the quiet, calm feel of the place remains, with light organ or piano music in the background.




Back at the flat, we had an impromptu music night. Erika, my roommate, performed a mock audition with her trombone, followed by some solos by Melanie on her clarinet. Then two guys from upstairs knocked on our door, to settle a wager. They were betting on whether one or two instruments were being played. Gustavo, the Argentinian one, decided to join us with a guitar, and we all took turns playing and/or singing with various instruments.


Gustavo lent me his guitar for the night. Even though I don't play much, it feels so good to have a guitar in my hands again.

5 comments:

  1. That is the craziest looking church I have ever seen. It looks really cool though - almost like a building built in ancient times using natural rock formations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Finland looks amazing, and you look like you're having a great time. It is so cool you're learning Finnish. I can't wait to visit and hear/see all of this and YOU in person... Miss you lots. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You didnt bring your guitar!? Shame.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I couldn't fit another piece of luggage. I'm thinking about bringing it with me when I visit home, though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay, I'm glad I found your blog (via Terrence)! There are actually a few exchange students at the University of Macau from Finland, and they thought it was cool that I knew someone (you) who was there now =D

    ReplyDelete